Wellness Starts Within

Thursday, March 22, 2012

My version of a healthy Pad Thai

I made this version a week ago but only got the chance to actually sit here and do some posting from my end. Like what I said yesterday, organizing and cleaning can keep you busy in a much rather non exciting type of way..:-)

I saw this recipe from our local Sunday papers a long time ago and knew instantly that I am going to get a taste of it. In fact, this is my first time to make Pad Thai and I actually tweak a few ingredients based on what I have available.. It still tasted oh-so-healthy and looking forward to make another batch soon..

Shrimp and Tofu Pad Thai  ----

1/2 c. Tamarind Juice ( I use the filipino sinigang mix... think about creativity huh??? )
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
8 ounces rice noodles (linguine size)
1-2 tbsp peanut oil
1 pound deveined medium shrimp
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 egg , beaten
6 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1 or 2 inches cubes
8 green onions, trimmed and halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1 inch pcs
1 c shredded napa cabbage ( I used regular cabbage)
1 c bean sprouts, plus more for garnish
red pepper flakes to taste
1 tbsp chopped peanuts
Lime wedges and Thai basil or cilantro for garnish ( I used cilantro and lemon)

***
- Place tamarind juice,fish sauce,vinegar,and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves.

- Cook noodles according to package directions then set aside.
This is the kind of noodles I used.. Bought it at Sprouts.



- Place a wok or big pan over high heat. Once hot, add oil and saute shrimp one minute or until pink.Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.Add egg and stir until scarmbled.

- Add tamarind mixture, tofu,green onions, cabbage, sprouts, pepper flakes ( if you want some kind of heat in your food) and drained noodles. Stir until they are warmed throughout. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve with garnishes...

There goes my Pad Thai.....




Enjoy your meal!!!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment